Wow. This book was crazy. I want to say it was just as crazy as Illuminae. But it wasn't. It was even freaking crazier. But I'm not sure that that is necessarily a good. thing.
Read: July 28th
Rating: Four stars
Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.
The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminaecontinues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.
Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy’s most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.
When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station’s wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.
But relax. They’ve totally got this. They hope.
So…Amie Kaufman's other series, Starbound or whatever, was the most okay series I have ever read. Why, you ask? Because each book in the series abandons the previous characters and starts with two new characters. A guy and a girl. Who go through all these crazy trials together and just fall into each other's arms by the end of the book. The main story line gets all convoluted and unorganized as you shift from these different perspectives. In that story I was so confused as to how this new couple's story applied to the overall premise of the series and it was so overly romantic…I found myself skimming through the last book in the series. Because each book was a new love story that was so predictable it made the story not enjoyable. Could we not have followed the same characters through the entire series?!
I was really hoping that Gemina wasn't going to be like this because I knew going into it that we were going to have all new characters…And I will say that it was…not…kinda. I don't know. I really really enjoyed Gemina and I think the romantic elements to this story bugged me slightly because I kept comparing it to the underwhelming Starbound series. I just was thinking, "Amie, haven't we done this already?" So that is why this book gets four stars instead of five.
- Nik! Call me crazy, but I love a good drug dealer in my books
- The banter in this book was so awesome. I loved all of the chat conversation because they weren't all super flirty and confessions of undying love, but they were funny and snarky.
- Ella. Who is this girl? Can we just have a book about Ella? I would read that crap!
- There are weird worm creatures that grow inside cow's heads. They are scary and creepy and I love them. *shivers* They seriously give me the heebee geebees.
- This is a survival story. I loved the idea of these characters hiding in the ship and being scared out of their minds and hunted the whole time! I didn't know that that was the premise of this story and it made it so thrilling to read!
- The violence. Is that bad that I enjoyed the violence? I really enjoyed the violence in this book.
- No spoilers. But! There is something that happens. And then something else happens. And these two happenings were very frustrating for me because I wish that the one thing had just happened and Amie had just left well enough alone and stuck with her story line and didn't make another weird ass thing happen! Because seriously…what the hell is that explanation as to what happened!?!
- Also I'm still confused as to what Illuminae is…please explain it more thoroughly to me.
Thanks for reading my review! I hope you enjoyed it. Please share your thoughts if you read this book because I am dyyyiinng to hear what you guys think!